A thin-crust pizza topped with sweet roasted beetroot, caramelised onions with cumin seed, salty feta and fresh rosemary
This beetroot pizza has layers of roasted beets, sweet caramelized onions spiced with cumin seeds, salty crumbled feta, and a fresh pop of rosemary.
Who’s a beet fan? I love it! Especially on this roasted beetroot pizza. Pre-roasting them a little caramelizes the edges so it takes on a lovely sweet flavor.
I also love growing beetroot in the garden in spring. It’s a great crop to sow while you wait to plant out your summer vegetables. It doesn’t take too long to grow so it works as a delicious gap filler.
If you keep sowing every 2-3 weeks throughout spring and summer, you can have a continuous harvest for many months.
Beetroot is a worthy crop in any garden as the entire plant is edible. Even in the shady spots in my garden, where the roots are slow to establish, I can still harvest the young beet leaves. The leaves are full of vitamins like beta-carotene.
It’s a little different from your usual tomato and cheese pizza, but it’s so fresh and yummy!
- 300g all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 170g warm water
- Olive oil for brushing
- Olive oil
- 800g beetroot
- 2 brown onions
- 3 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 150g feta cheese
- 4 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and stir to combine.
- Pour in the olive oil and water and use a fork to combine it into a shaggy dough.
- Tip the dough on a floured bench and knead for around 5 minutes until the dough ball is smooth. Place it in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave it to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Tip the dough ball onto a floured bench and cut into 4 even pieces.
- Roll out one piece into a small circle, around 5mm thick. Place on an oven tray and brush with a little olive oil.
- Bake for approx 5-6 minutes until bubbles puff up and the base is a very light golden brown. Remove from the oven and continue with the rest of the bases.
- Scrub the beetroot and remove the tops and bottoms.
- Slice each beetroot into 3mm slices and arrange on an oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Bake the beetroot for around 15 minutes until the edges are caramelizing. Remove from the oven once baked.
- While the beetroot is baking, peel and slice the onions into thin slices.
- Heat a pan with olive oil on medium heat and add the onions. Slowly cook the onions with a pinch of salt, for around 10-15 minutes, until they are translucent, brown, and caramelized. In the last few minutes of cooking, add the cumin seeds.
- To assemble the pizza, distribute the beetroot slices amongst the bases, spacing them out evenly.
- Cover the beetroot with the caramelized onion.
- Crumble over the feta cheese and fresh rosemary.
- Bake the pizzas for 5-6 minutes until the edges of the feta cheese start to brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 514Total Fat: 16.1gSaturated Fat: 6.8gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 870mgCarbohydrates: 77.9gFiber: 7.7gProtein: 16.8g