These simple seed crackers are so good and easy to make and you can use whatever seeds you've got in the pantry!
The basic ingredients in these crispy, flavour-packed crackers are A) seeds of your choice B) flour C) oil D) salt.
You could use sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, or sesame seeds as the base and the flours can be whole wheat spelt, oat flour, rice flour... you get the idea. They are vegan, sugar-free and can easily be gluten-free too.
I really like using sunflower and pumpkin seeds as the main 'texture' seeds because they're bigger. Sesame seeds are my favourite to give it a base flavour.
Then you add a little oil, salt and enough water until it's a thick but easily spreadable paste. This paste is then spread out thinly on a silicone baking sheet or baking paper.
At this point use a knife to slice the dough into squares or rectangles. This will make it easier to break the crackers into their shapes once baked.
Then they are placed in the oven until golden brown and crispy. They need to be completely dried out.
The edge crackers will brown up first so you can remove those first and space the middle ones out more to cook further, so they all cook evenly.
Once they're baked let them cool before eating.
- 250 grams mixed base seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds...)
- 1-2 teaspoon flavour seeds (cumin, caraway or fennel seeds), optional
- 1 cup flour of your choice (wheat, spelt, oat, rice...), (Don’t use a flour with rising agents in it)
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Around 1 cup water, (more or less may be needed)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line an oven tray with baking paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Combine all the ingredients expect for the water in a bowl. Add in the water slowly, enough so that you have a spreadable paste.
- Spread the paste out on the baking tray as thin as you can without causing gaps in the paste. Use a knife to cut the cracker shapes in the raw dough. This will help them break into nice squares once baked.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake until they are golden brown and crispy. The edge crackers will brown up first so you can remove these once they're brown and spread the middle crackers out and bake them further.
- Leave to cool and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 14.3gSaturated Fat: 1.5gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 293mgFiber: 2.1gSugar: 0.6gProtein: 5.6g