This flavourful and spicy broccoli noodle soup uses whole broccoli: the florets, the stalks and the leaves.
This spicy and fragrant broccoli noodle soup is nutritious and delicious, as well as easy on the wallet!
I love ‘root to tip’ cooking, and using as much of each vegetable as possible. My vegetable garden is not big so I can’t grow a super large amount of fresh produce, so I’m extra careful to avoid food waste and use what we grow to the full extent.
If you’ve got no broccoli, this dish could be made with kale or cauliflower, or even Brussels sprouts.
I use the leaves of the makrut lime to add flavour to the soup. These are also known as kaffir lime leaves.
They can be purchased at the supermarket, but better yet, ask if someone you know is growing them! Makrut lime trees are commonly grown for the leaves as opposed to the fruit, and there are only so many leaves one person needs!
I collected a bunch from a friend of mine and now just keep those in the freezer to use as I need them (along with summer-grown chilli that is in the soup too.)
The Broccoli Noodle Soup Ingredients
In this dish, the broccoli stalk, leaves and florets are used. They’re combined with a flavourful coconut broth – infused with ginger, garlic, makrut lime and coriander.
The soup is dished out over a bowl full of noodles. You can use rice noodles, egg noodles or even spaghetti pasta.
The broccoli stalks are the toughest so they need a little bit longer cooking time than the leaves and florets.
First cut the broccoli florets away from the stalk and set them aside. Then remove the tough inner stem from the leaves.
The stalk and the inner leaf stems are chopped into small pieces.
The Broccoli Soup Method
In a saucepan fry chopped onion for about 5 minutes and then add in the broccoli stalks. These now cook for 8 or so minutes until tender, then the garlic, ginger, chilli, and makrut lime leaf are added along with turmeric.
These are fried off for a few minutes, and then coconut milk and vegetable stock are added. This is left to simmer for 5-7 minutes. Taste the broth at the end of the simmering time and season it with salt, a squeeze of lemon and any extra chilli.
While the broth is simmering, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook your noodles of choice, according to the packet or recipe instructions.
Meanwhile, finely shred the broccoli leaves and cut up the florets into 2cm pieces. Finely chop some fresh coriander.
These greens are now added to the hot broth and left to wilt for just a few minutes, so they retain their brilliant green colour.
Serve the soup by diving the noodles over 4 bowls, then ladling over the hot broth and vegetables.
Garnish with roasted peanuts, chopped, fresh coriander, chilli and a wedge of lemon or lime.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 head of broccoli , the stalks too
- 1 bunch broccoli leaves, or other greens of your choice
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cm ginger, fresh, grated
- 2 makrut lime/kaffir lime leaves, very finely shredded
- 1 red chilli , finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coriander stalk, finely chopped
- 200 g wide rice noodles
- Salt to taste
- 1 large handful coriander leaves
- Chopped roasted peanuts
- Fresh chilli
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Cut the broccoli florets away from the main broccoli stem and set them aside. Remove the tough inner stalk from the broccoli leaves and discard it. Set the leaves aside.
- Peel the main broccoli stem and chop it into small 1cm pieces.
- In a saucepan over medium-hot heat, melt the coconut oil and add the chopped onion. Fry for 5 minutes until the onion starts to caramelize.
- Add in the broccoli stem pieces and cook for 8 or so minutes until they are tender.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, chili, makrut leaves, chili, and turmeric, and fry for 2-3 minutes more.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil to cook the noodles.
- Pour the vegetable stock and the coconut milk over the vegetables and let the soup broth come to a simmer for 5-7 minutes. Taste the broth at the end of the simmering time and season it with salt, lemon juice, and any extra chili if needed.
- While the broth is simmering, cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain them once cooked and divide them over 4 bowls.
- Finely shred the broccoli leaves and cut up the florets into 2cm pieces.
- Add these to the hot broth along with the chopped coriander stalk and let them simmer and wilt for 2-3 minutes.
- Ladle the hot soup and vegetables over the bowls of noodles. Garnish with roasted peanuts, chopped, fresh coriander, chili, and a wedge of lemon or lime.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 25gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 581mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g