Sourdough Palmiers are one of the most delicious things you can make with puff pastry.
Sourdough palmiers are sweet little French cookies made of sourdough puff pastry and granulated sugar.
They’re sometimes called Elephant ears too.
Sourdough puff pastry
In my sourdough puff pastry post, I have step by step instructions on how to make puff pastry from scratch using sourdough starter. Despite it taking an extra 12 hours of resting time, making puff pastry with sourdough is actually easier than without.
The extended fermenting time helps with relaxing the gluten in the dough and it makes for easier rolling.
Once you’ve got a slab of sourdough puff pastry made, it can be rolled into cookies.
Palmiers are made out of a rectangle of puff pastry, sprinkled with granulated sugar, folded up, and sliced into cookies.
Yes, you can use store-bought pastry but it’s definitely not as delicious as homemade pastry made with real butter.
Sourdough Palmier Folding
Roll a pastry rectangle, and sprinkle the rectangle with granulated sugar.
Then, starting from the sides, fold in 1/4 on each side so they meet in the middle.
Now fold the two sides on to each other like you’re folding a book. And then do that again one more time.
Once folded, they’re sliced into 1cm slices and then each cut side is pressed into some more granulated sugar.
If the oven is still heating and the cookies have been sliced, place them back in the fridge to stay cool until the oven is at temperature.
Bake them for around 20 minutes until deep golden brown and crispy all the way through.
- Homemade Sourdough Puff Pastry
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or 392 °F.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet out into a 40 x 50 cm rectangle.
- Sprinkle the pastry with 3 tbsp of granulated sugar
- Fold in 1/4 of each side into the middle.
- Now fold those two sides on to each other like you're folding a book, then repeat that one more time. (See images in post above.)
- You'll now have a long puff pastry log.
- Slice the log into 1cm slices.
- Press the faces of each slice into some granulated sugar and lay them on a baking tray.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until deep golden brown and crisp all the way through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Saturated Fat: 9.9gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 111mgCarbohydrates: 24.2gSugar: 8.4gProtein: 2.3g